Re: getting body off frame

Required:
-2 people (make it easier and you have an extra set of eyes to watch)
although you can do it alone.
-2 2.5 - 3 Ton rolling floor jacks. Again you can do it with only
one, but it makes it easier.
-15 - 20 cinder blocks (to keep the body on top of while you work)
-a few lengths of 4x4 wood posts. The jacks have a limited travel and
some of them cannot lift the body high enough to clear the frame,
that's where the wood comes into play. Place them in-between the body
and the jack.
-Level area to work on
-Patience!

Body Removal:
As always disconnect the battery before doing any work.
There are a Total of twelve (12) bolts that are holding the body to
the frame. They are as follows: two (2) are in the luggage
compartment, each one located above the shock towers.

Six (6) are located inside the car, three (3) on each side of the
center console located near the seats. Two of those bolts (out of the
six) are holding the seat belts to the frame. Once you unbolt the
seat belt from the floor, pull back the carpeting on both sides (the
bolts are located right near the seat belt bolt) of the center
console and you will see the other four (again 2 on each side).

Four (4) are located in the engine compartment. Here's where it gets
tricky. There are two located on the cross member bar (see parts
manual). Now from what I understand it is a common problem that the
bolt(s) are frozen in there (at least mine was a few other owners
have told me). Be careful removing these since the nut is just a cage
nut sitting in the frame...you can bend the "cage part" (welded to
the frame) and cause the square nut to just spin in there, you'll
then have to cut the bolt and use a little ingenuity in getting the
other half out of the cage (shocks are in the way). The last two will
require the removal of the rear fascia. One you get the fascia off
you will se two large openings on either side of the pontoon, the
bolts are located in there. You'll have to stick your hand in there
with a socket to remove them.

Once you have the bolts removed, disconnect the following: Brake
lines to the master cylinder, Clutch line to the Clutch master
cylinder, Remove the leather gear shift boot, remove the front ground
wires (bolted to the frame), disconnect the ground wire from the
battery to the trailing arm bolt, disconnect all the engine wiring
harness (behind the ignition coil cover), ground wires going to the
engine.

Jack up the body from the sides GO SLOWLY. If you use two jacks,
place a piece of wood between the two and place them on both sides of
the body under the seat area as close to the edge as possible
(stronger area near the bend). DON'T place the jack directly in the
center of where the seats are unless you want a floorless Flinstone
car. Again, jack up the car slowly and EVENLY. As you jack it up
you'll see that the body will start to rock from front to back...use
the cinder blocks to prevent that by placing some in the front and on
the sides (next to the jacks) as you raise the body.

Is it necessary to remove all those things? Some are...but some you
may be able to leave connected since some of the wires are long
enough (since you are just lifting the body enough to get to the
lines). When you go to replace the fuel lines, be prepared those
plastic clips will break when you are removing the old line! I would
suggest ordering all those clips holding the fuel line also, they are
very inexpensive and I believe DMC Houston has them in stock.

I hope this was semi helpful. I have a few pictures of me removing
the body off of the frame completely. If you need any more help you
can contact me directly by email if you like.

Steve Rubano