Re: update to my battery light/low charge problem

Re: update to my battery light/low charge problem

A "new" alternater can be blown out by jumping the car incorrectly or
shorting the output to ground even for a second. The way I check for a
loose belt is to try to turn the pulley on the alternater by the fan
behind the pulley. It should be hard to turn and it should move the
belt. Too tight and you will blow the bearings in the alternater and
wear out the belt. I have seen where the pulleys are worn and the belt
is touching the bottom of the pulley. It should only touch the sides.
You can purchase a gauge to check for a worn pulley. The wrong belt
that isn't the right angle will slip under heat and load. You need to
have the alternater bench tested and if needed they are repairable or
rebuildable at much less than replacement cost. One blown diode will
reduce the output significantly and impose an AC voltage on the system
which will blow light bulbs and destroy the battery. Most places will
put a charging system analyzer on the car for free (like Sears) and
will pinpoint the problem for you.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757