Creativity with OEM rims (was Michelin Pilot Tires)

Creativity with OEM rims (was Michelin Pilot Tires)

Don,

I thought about having the rims chromed. What I remember seeing on the DML
was that someone used a 'chrome colored' powder coat with good success. I'm
not sure how well real chrome plating would stay on our rims. Just by the
nature of chrome plating, it would be nearly impossible to get chrome to
deposit between all the fins (spokes). If there are any thin spots, then
corrosion would set in and fake the rest off. But then it sounds like you
have a great solution: paint everything but the exposed surfaces. But how
do you get paint to stick to chrome? It isn't easy. If everything else is
black, then it would be a lot easier to keep clean. Maybe you could even
use a flat paint that matches the color of accumulated brake dust! Now
that's the trick!

I have learned many hard lessons about trusting 'just anyone' to do a job
right. That is why I am considering having a DeLorean vendor sell me some
powder coated rims rather than trying to find some local guy to do it for
me. If you want to know why I am so cynical, read my next post.

Another cool alternative that I heard about from DMC Houston is that they
sell stripped, polished & clear coated rims. I haven't seen one in person
but hear that they have a look & finish similar to the stainless body
panels. Warren said that they chuck them up on a lathe to polish them more
evenly. They want $200 with exchange per rim. For OEM-color powder
coating, they want $125 per rim. PJ Grady is $150.