Re: door handle installation

Installation of the door handles is fairly simple. All I used to
remove the 2 nuts on each handle was a regular socket with a long
extension. To get to the handles, first remove the black support that
the door wire harness and fir tree clips snap on/into. This piece is
secured by a few screws. Once removed, it's a easy, straight shot
down with the rachet.

After removing the nuts, slide the handle out of the outside of the
door, and disconnect the cable. Installation is basicly reversed, but
there are a few tips to make things go smoother.

1. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE NUTS. Doing so, you can sheer off the bolts
on the door handles. To prevent, see tip 5.

2. Apply a little grease to the inside of a shalow socket. This will
hold the nut into place while you rotate the rachet back into place
to install the handle.

3. Make sure the cable connecting to the doorhandle slides back into
the sheath fully. Otherwise the door may shut, and refuse to open.

4. If you need additional slack to connect the handle, turn the
bellcrank via the inside door handle.

5. If you are concerned about the nuts comming loose, you can find
matching myloc nuts at your local hardware store.

Once you get into the swing of things, you'll find this job goes
fairly quickly. On a scale of 1-5, I would rank this project at a 2.

-Robert
vin 6585

p.s. If you drive your car on cold nights, prepare to have MUCH
colder door handles when you go to open your car!

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> I am getting ready to replace the driver's side door handle on my
car with
> the latest reproduction made by DMC Houston. I already replaced the
> passenger side door handle a few weeks ago with the same, and with
that
> experience behind me, I now want to know if anyone has any tips on
how to
> make the job easier.
<SNIP>