Tire ratings, Cooper Cobra G/T, and Yokos

Tire ratings, Cooper Cobra G/T, and Yokos

I've found that the UTQG rating (ie, 440 A B) on tires is just about
completely useless. Also, there is a misconception about 'soft' and
'hard' rubber compounds. I believe that for traction and temperature,
the rating is A-B-C, and if you start looking around, 90% of passenger
tires have a traction rating A. Temperature ratings seem to vary a
little bit more. The fact that a 160 treadwear and a 440 treadwear have
the same traction rating is ridiculous. I honestly believe that the wear
indicator is correct; ie, the tire with the 440 rating will last about 3
times longer than the 160 under the same conditions. I've always
considered a 'soft' tire to have a shorter life becuase the rubber tends
to leave itself on the road instead of staying on the tire. This is not
a good choice of words. If you physically feel the 440 and 160 tires,
the 440 will feel much softer and more malliable to the touch. This will
last longer on the road becuase it will bend and fold during cornering,
whereas the 160 tire will not move laterally unless it breaks traction.
I just bought some firehawk tires- (500 A B), and I've found that the car
is not as responsive as I'd like- instead of tracking (at higher speeds),
the car just sorta meanders in the 'yaw' direction (side to side). On
the other hand, the 440 (and 500) tires should perform much better in the
snow (and probably rain) than than 160 treadwear tires....

Hope this helps someone looking at tires....
Jim 1537

PS- anyone know a good rim repair/ powder coater in new england?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.