Re: R-12 recharge

For a car that has sat over 15 years I would definitely replace ALL
the rubber O-Rings on the A/C system. Over time the O-Rings begin to
dry out and crack causing a leak. A/C systems should always be turned
on for brief amount of time once in a while even when it's winter so
that the oil in the A/C can "lube up" the rubber seals and prevent
them from drying out. I believe most manufactures now automatically
cycle the A/C on for a few seconds...you don't feel it since either
A. you have he heat on and the A/C goes on for such a short period of
time it's not enough time to get it cold and B. I believe it's right
after the engine starts up the compressor cycles on/off.

Replace all the rubber O-rings, including the ones that are located
on the compressor in-between the compressor body and the two hoses
bolted to it. They are not expensive and it's easier to do now since
you'll have the A/C system open anyway. You may want to replace the
Drier/Accum also since the system was "dry" for some time and
moisture may have gotten into the system.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
> Hello,
> A friend of myne was kind enough to let me use his 30lb tank of
R-12. My