ADMIN NOTE: Virus thing

This will be the last post on the Virus.

We are aware of an email virus that has been repeatedly hitting list
members. This is not coming through the list, we do not pass
attachments and do not moderate through meaningless messages
(usually!).

One of our digest version list-members (mdrig aka yugoman)
is "infected" with this virus. It replicates itself through email if
you are using a Microsoft Email client (thanks Bill). It apparently
replicates itself to the infectees address book AND any addresses
contained in any unread email in his inbox (i.e. the digest). If you EVER clicked on the attachment, you are now infected too (unless you have a Mac).

I have written to "mdrig" to explain the problem, AND disabled this
his DML account so that it will stop sending out mails in response to
digests, but I cannot do anything else about it. These are NOT coming
through the list itself.

If you see any mail with an attachment ending in .pif or .exe, just
delete it. Eventually it will stop (I hope).

(Thanks Martin, (DOC-UK)) For more info on the virus, and how to remove it, see
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.13312@xxxxxxx

If you are reading this online, the characters in the above URL that are suppressed after the @ are mm.html.

Dave Swingle (Moderator of Moderators)