Re: (wasHeat test) Cooling Fans

I have to respectfully disagree here.

This seems to me to be a particularly ill-advised modification.
Anything that would require the operator to remember to turn the fans
back on after a highway run is just asking for expensive trouble. The
way the DeLorean is supposed to work, i.e. where the fans run when
needed as called for by the Otterstat, OR when the Air conditioner is
on, is SOP for every car I've seen that uses electric fans.

If you have an overheating problem, fix it, don't wire around it.
Replacing the fan motors (and I don't believe that these are a
particularly high-failure part) is much cheaper than a new engine.

Being able to turn of the fans when running the A/C in cold climates
is a non-issue. If it's cold, I'm not running the A/C. If the
otterstat turns on the fans, it's because the engine is hot. No need
to second-guess it.

I've replaced every part of my cooling system (except the aluminum
tubes and the engine block), with OEM parts including the radiator,
and it runs exactly as it should in all weather. I was in a parade
this weekend, an hour of essentialy idling in 83-degree weather, and
the fans cycled on and off about every 5 minutes. Exactly what they
are supposed to do.

If you really want to do something like this it had better be
completely automatic, no driver intervention required, which just
further complicates the electrical system of the car - to do what -
make a 10-year item (fan motors) last for 11 years?

Dave Swingle

We'll today I added