Re: AC compressor failure?

Check for continuaty at the low pressure switch located behind the
front right wheel. If it doesn't have continuaty it is either bad or
there is not enough pressure to trip it. Since you say the A/C worked
for 2 weeks I am guessing that you had a leak and now there isn't
enough freon in the system so the low pressure switch is keeping the
compressor from running. Pressure isn't enough, you must have the
proper pressure. A quick test would be a paper clip jumping the low
pressure switch just to see if the compressor will run. DO NOT run the
compressor any length of time like this because if the pressures in
the system go below atmospheric you will pull air and contaminants
into the system. You usually cannot just shoot a little freon in and
fix the system, you really have to repair the leak that caused the
system to be low in the first place! Any shop that doesn't leak test a
low system is doing the customer a disservice in that they are just
wasting freon, charging the customer for a temporary repair that just
has to be done again, and polluting the environment by needleesly
leaking R-12. My guess is you have a high side leak like the hose from
the compressor to the condensor or a seal by the compressor or the "O"
rings on the hose for the system to go flat so quickly.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> hey all,
>
> i recently had my freon recharged and my AC has been superb for
about 2
> weeks. now all of a sudden it went 'kaput"!
>
> the problem is that my AC compressor is not turning on when i am in
AC mode,