Re: [DML] Re: Lighting mod ?

I experimented with Jan's method of converting the side marker light to also
work as a blinker. I thought it was a bad idea because it would change the
load and therefore the flash rate of the blinker unit. I also thought it
was a bad idea because the side marker light appeared to be in series and
therefore grounded through one of the filaments of the bumper light which
would cause both bulbs to light dimly.

To find out for sure, I hooked up one side like Jan said using jumper wires
from the outside so that I wouldn't modify my car. You know what? It
worked! The modification does not alter the flash rate of the blinker.
Also, I discovered that the green wire is grounded by the blinker mechanism
when the light is off. That makes it a good ground and not a 'floating
ground' through another bulb. When both the flasher and running lights are
on in the front fascia, then both red and green wires are hot which produces
no voltage across the side marker light.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do a similar modification to the
rear marker lights? The wiring diagram I have in my service manual is not
reproduced very well.

Walt Tampa, FL