Re: Freon direct replacements

The EPA does not recognize any "drop in" replacements for R-12 meaning
that there is nothing which you can use to "top off" the system if you
have R-12 in it. You must remove all of the R-12 (capturing it to send
for recycling) and replace with whatever susbstitute you choose.
There are many substitutes but none will equal the capacity that R-12
can provide without major modifacations to the system. Many shops no
longer have R-12 in stock because of the high cost ($60 a pound). Find
a large shop or one that does classic cars, there are still some
around, or call a supplier that the A/C contractors use (look in the
phone book) and they can tell you who is still doing R-12 service
work. You must be EPA certified to do R-12 work so many shops get
around that by not using R-12 anymore. Be aware that some of the
substitutes use propane or butane and are not to be used in mobile
applications. Many of the substitutes are just blends of several
different freons and as they leak the system will do funny things as
the different freons tend to leak at different rates. The high side
(head) pressures will also be higher causing the system to run hotter
which deteriorates things like hoses and seals faster. The bottom line
is after you do all of your homework the best option is to stay with
R-12 for as long as you can. The only drawback to staying with R-12 is
that it is a little more expensive to recharge with.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757