Torsionbars/struts/gullwing doors

dmcrearHmm... Are my doors very strange or is this the way they all work on your DeLorean?

This summer I had a much needed torsion bar adjustment. The struts are also new. The adjustment was done by professionals.

What happens is this: In warm weather (above 20 degrees Celcius) the doors open with no problems and stay up. Wow! I have never experienced that before. MAGIC! So far so good....

Now, if the temperature is below that, the doors don't open fully, yet you can help with your hand and the doors will stay up! (Earlier on - before the torsion bar adjustment - they drooped and wouldn't stay up)

Living in Norway, we have a mild climate yet the temperature is often below 20 degrees because of the cold winds and weather we have where I live. I drive my DeLorean only in the spring-summer-and early autumn. This means that on an average my doors won't open up fully 75% of the time, the last 25% being the hot summer we have here and where the temperature is above 20 degrees. Then the doors will work as intended.

So - will my gullwing doors forever be "handicapped" 75% of the time because of the cold wind and temperature, or is there a cure for my problems??? Don't say I have to move to a warmer climate? ;-)

I have thought of putting more torsion on the doors, but then I'm afraid that the doors really will "bounce off" when once in awhile the temperature rises above 20 degrees.

In other words - PLEASE ADVICE! I don't really believe that the DeLorean was made only for warmer climates (read: california/texas).

I've never been disappointed with anything on my DeLorean, but if this is how the doors are supposed work and are sensitive to cold, and can not be made to function 100%, then I think I for the first time is disappointed with my DeLorean.

NOW - Someone, please tell me that this isn't so, and that some of you out there knows exactly how to do the right trick so that the doors will function 100% at all time. I'd love to hear from you owners living up in the North of America / Canada. How are your doors performing???

Best wishes :)

Stian Birkeland
Flekkefjord, Norway

VIN # 06759