Re: [DML] First Drive in my DeLorean

James,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

>I m really cautious about
buying a 20 year old part for $400.00

Not a problem. The new one I bought from PJ Grady was new. He explained
that it came from France, and he felt that he was lucky to get them at all
due to the language barrier.

>if someone can reproduce the CG unit in a more
>durable form for $400 then put me down for one.

Technically, I think this is what PJ Grady already sells -- a reproduced new
unit that isn't NOS.

It would be a major headache to make a CG from scratch. There are a lot of
intricate molded plastic pieces. Also, there may be some patent and
copyright problems to deal with.

The non-electrical parts of the units are pretty durable anyway. I suppose
someone eventually will advertise to rebuild these units in a similar
fashion to the way PJ Grady rebuilds angle drives. Not every core is
rebuildable, and some people don't want to leave their cars apart for the
amount of time it would take to have the part rebuilt.

Walt Tampa, FL