Re: clutch problem

DMCJoe already indicated that you'll need to properly bleed the
system after refilling, but you might want to first ask yourself
where the cluch fluid went.

There should be no need to refill the cluch fluid level unless there
is a leak somewhere. If you have a clean/dry shop floor, you can
oftentimes discover leaks by taking a look at your floor. This
approach is not definitive for the cluch, however, since the common
leaks don't really drop much on the floor. I've had my share of cluch
hydraulic problems on my cars (in fact I'm in the process or
replacing my slave cylinder now). Failures are usually either with
the slave cylinder or the master cylinder. For some cosmic reason,
the two also seem to fail together (on my daily driver some years
back I replaced the slave cylinder and the master cylinder failed 2
weeks later -- I got pretty good at speed shifting, but stop lights
were a bummer).

When my master failed, I ended up with clutch fluid in the driver's
footwell under the carpet (the carpet pad soaked the stuff up making
cleanup a drag). The fluid seeps down along the inside of the
firewall and soaks the carpet from the underside.

The slave just failed on my garage queen car and I didn't have any
spots on my garage floor, but the area around the slave cylinder is
really wet (there is probably some big puddle of fluid sitting ontop
of the transmission).

As part of refilling and bleeding your clutch system, you might want
to also diagnose why your fluid got low in the first place.

Knut