first drive, transmission problem.

Hello,
I finally got my car on the road today. Oh was it awesome! I dont
believe the looks this car gets! It is an automatic with 16,000 miles.
After the car was heated up it was starting out in second I think(not
sure though). It would not shift until about 45-50 or so and the rpms were
at about 5500 (which I think is way too high, ) I am a real dummy when it
comes to electronics. I dont want to mess with repairing it unless I can
send it somewhere. would a new computer($450 I think) fix this? The fluid
is full. any ideas?
also, I want to know if I ever got to 3rd gear. I was going about
55-60MPH and the rpms were at about 3700, does that sound right? I have an
exam speech on the car this Monday and I MUST have the car present. will
driving it with the computer screwy hurt anything? I drove 51 miles with it
today and it drives fine, just stays in the first gear(1st or 2nd) tooo long
before it shifts. sorry if this email is confusing. It's late and I'm tired:)

Thanks
David
6286"IN2TIME" first time since 87