Re: why use an angle drive

You are correct, they did not especially want to snake a speedometer
cable all the way from the back of the car. There is a location for a
mechanical speedo take-off on the manual transmission, but it is in
the area of the ring gear. Since the ring gear was flipped over in
the transition from front to rear drive application, the back side of
the ring gear is up against the take-off point. Therefore, the pick-
up point is plugged in the DMC application. I've never looked at an
automatic, but I'd bet that it doesn't even have the pickup point
since it was a more "custom" transmission than the manual.

As an aside, BMW has been using electronic analog speedometers
(driven by the rear differential) since the mid-80s. Perhaps there
is an idea for a creative car-crafter - use a BMW electronic pickup
somewhere in differential area, and electronic speedo to get rid of
the mechanical stuff once and for all. Another project that would
undoubtedly cost all out of proportion to the net worth.

Another interesting tidbit (sorry, I HAVE spent way too much time
thinking about DMC speedometers) the Lucas speedo angle drive on an
MGB is identical to the DMC drive (from outward appearance) but lacks
the flexible input shaft since in an MGB it hangs on the
transmission. Interestingly enough, it costs about the same from an
MGB parts supplier as the DMC folks charge. A lot.

Dave Swingle

> Mike Loasby answered that one at Eurofest. I can't quite recall...
I think it