Unusual Inertia Switch Malfunction

I had an interesting thing happen a few weeks ago that I'll share as
FYI and ask for your advice on.

I drive my D every day. One morning I went to start it and it just
wouldn't start. Kept turning over but never catching. After a day
and a half of worrying but not really even moving the car, I finally
remembered to check on the intertia switch. Well the plunger was
down, BUT one of the wires was disconnected! When I reconnected the
wire the car operated perfectly. Of course my switch is in the
original location near the lambda counter.

So the moral is if your switch is in that location, be sure you can't
accidentally disconnect the wires by kicking it or moving the floor
mat accidentally. Also, if your car turns over but won't start and
the plunger seems fine, double check the connection to the intertia
switch.

Now for my question. If I pull up the plunger manually to try to trip
it on purpose to test it, nothing happens. I mean the car will start
or continues to run just fine. Given the above this is wierd to me.
I assume this means that my intertia switch is busted, but I just
wanted to check if this is the behavior that a busted one exhibits.

thanks,
shiraz