start problem

Hi list, I've been away for a while. What's been going on? I have a few questions for you experts...

I'm having a starting problem with my D. I'm pretty sure its fuel related and not electrical. I've been reading a lot of the back issues and lord knows there are A LOT of issues on hot and cold start problems! When cold my car usually starts right away, but it will stall if I try to idle at a stop sign for the first minute or two of driving. After that its fine. If I shut the car down and start it again within an hour it starts okay. But if I wait 2 or 2 1/2 hours the car will fire up right away and stall imediately. Then it won't turn over for about five to ten minutes. When it does, its a rough idle for a minute. Finally, if I wait over three hours and then start the car (when it completly cooled off, i'm assuming) it will start okay again. At first, I thought it was a hot start problem, but even when its cold started, it will stall for the first minute or so of driving. If I hold the engine at 2000 rpms for about a minute and a half, it will idle normally. After any start hot or cold, if I keep my foot on the accelerator immediatly after starting and hold it at 2000 rpms for a minute or two, the car will perform fine. I think, from reading the back issues, it might be the check value doo-hicky in the fuel pump. Maybe the fuel isn't staying in the line. Could my accumulator be the problem as well? Or maybe its something completely different? What do you guys think?

Also, I was wondering if the Fuse ratings listed in the Workshop Manual were all correct, or if some of you have found it best to use other rated fuses for certain ones? I think I remember dmc Houston having an update kit. Is this because some of the originals are incorrect or is it just for people who need to clean up their fuse boxes?+-

Please email me privately at dmcsteve@xxxx unless you have new info to share with everyone. I don't want to take up the list space for my silly problems! :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any input.

-Steve Bunnell
#11611
Boulder, CO