Re: [DML] Stainless Steel air filter box (was Stainless Steel Facias)

Re: [DML] Stainless Steel air filter box (was Stainless Steel Facias)

Steve,

Your point is well taken. The next time I have my air filter box apart I'm
going to do a lot of looking. My idea of the stainless air box is two fold:
First, a stainless top to the engine would look really cool. But secondly,
making an entirely new filter box that will house a K&N filter without
adapters makes it all worth while. Making just a new top half while
re-using the bottom half might be practical using stock filters. However,
I'm not sure if Marty's filter adapter would work well in it. (By the way,
I just checked out the link to Marty's kit:
http://www.midstatedmc.com/parts/k-n.html and it looks like a great deal for
the trouble and the money.) What I am proposing doing is making a whole new
stainless filter box that is made to house the K&N filter without extra
adapter brackets. By doing so, it will not be able to hold OEM style
filters -- only the K&N (Part #33-2002) and cross-references to this K&N.
If I follow through with this idea, then I would probably also consider
making a whole new air intake system that would replace the restrictive
'shutter-air inlet' (part #105952). It would be a lot of trouble, and I
would probably never sell more than a dozen or so of them. But I like to do
this sort of thing just for the fun of it.

If 'we' go through with designing and building a prototype, can anyone
suggest if it would be better to make the box somehow open on the top to
draw in more air? Or would it be best to suck fresh air in through the side
window vent like the OEM unit does?

Should the unit look substantially like the OEM as a compliment to the
aftermarket stainless header bottles? Or should it be a totally different
design using an entirely different configuration K&N filter (i.e. round or
cup shape vs. OEM flat rectangle)? I think sticking closest to OEM
configuration will be more popular. Comments anyone?

Walt Tampa, FL