Re: Soft alternator?

Unless your idle gets rough or the engine stalls, I wouldn't worry
about it. Last fall my meter constantly read around 12 (with the
motorola) on idle with the AC on. As long as you dont shut off the
engine without allowing it to rise back up (driving the car) then your
battery will keep a charge. What Fanzilla does is sequentially turn
on the fans one at a time after the AC compressor kicks in. Then
there is much less of a shock to the electrical system. Engine drag
from the AC is caused by two sources. The primary one is the AC
compressor itself. The other is the alternator, since there is more
resistance to turn it when there is a greater electrical draw. In the
long run, you're gonna still feel the drag no matter what you do, it
will just wont be all at once with the Fanzilla. I have no idea what
that plasticy stuff is. But if your paranoid about it, you should get
a new alternator. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxx> wrote:
> I've been watching my alternator... lately it's been dropping below
the 13v when at idle and AC is on. It's the 90 amp Motorola model.
It's leaked some clearish plasticy stuff... melted insulation or
something?