Soft alternator?

I've been watching my alternator... lately it's been dropping below the 13v when at idle and AC is on. It's the 90 amp Motorola model. It's leaked some clearish plasticy stuff... melted insulation or something?

I leave everything else that I can off and just use windows for a breeze when I can. Of course, when I need the AC is when I'm at the stop light idling and don't have a breeze, and that's when the alterntor performs the worst.

At first, it was just the discrepency between the gauge and the volts measured on the alternator. I even replaced the fuses for dash services and AC stuff, hoping it was poor contacts. I tightened the belts last night and did many different tests with it idling in the drive way, out of gear.

The end result is that with just AC and fan on 3 or 4 it drops to about 12.3v, and with radio and lights on it barely hits 12, and sometimes 11.9v. That's measured right on the alternator with my trusty digital multimeter.

So, I need a new alternator for full enjoyment and peace of mind, right?

Will this also help lessen the drag the AC system places on the engine performance?

I know there is the fanzilla that is to help with the performance... but what exactly does it do for all that money? Alternatives? (I'd like to save some money for suspension work this summer)?