"Get the air out of your coolins system" - do what??

"Get the air out of your coolins system" - do what??

I recently noticed a phrase warning all who drive in
the heat to "get the air out of the cooling system" or
something like that. What must one do and how can you
tell if you are overheating... assuming the gauge
works??? I would hate for the "it's now a parts car"
light to come on. Yee gads!! What must I look for,
as this shall be my first summer with the D.