Re: Going Xenon .. really so expensive?

Stephen Jones wrote:

> I was looking to get a set of xenon lamps to replace
> the Sylvania sealed halogen. I know that the wiring
> would support 55-60W (at least I believe so).

This XENON-thread has come up many times before,
take a look in the archives for more detailed info...

The outer lights are 55/60W, with 60W being high beams,
the inner lights are single filament at 55W
only coming on with high beams.

> Its my understanding that with 'xenon lamps' you don't
> really have a sealed lamp like with the older halogen
> lamps, but rather a new lamp casing with a bulb.

I think your confusing Xenon with E-type headlights:
in Europe Sealed beams are illegal, so on european cars
the lights are replaced with new housings wich take a
replacable bulb, fot the outer lights you'd need "H4"
for the inner "H3" or "H1" depending on which housings
you (get) install(ed).
When switching over to these kind of lights,
make sure you cross over the wires for high and low beams
in the connectors. If you don't, you'll get really weird
symptoms on your dash-lights and inner lamps...

Xenon-lights are very expensive (like over $1000,-)
They don't work with a filament, but a controlled arc
between two electrodes. To get enough power you'd need
a transformer to get to a couple of 1000 volts.

Also, because of the enormous amount of light they
produce a leveling-system is mandatory in most places
because without it you would be blinding traffic in
opposite direction continuosly...

The Mercedes E-type cars were the firts production cars
to have this Xenon-light-system.

> I wasn't sure myself what would work as a replacement,
> but the pricing for most setups didn't seem to be too
> expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation of what
> to use or what they are using to get whiter, brighter
> beams for cheap?

By my own (European) experience, you can convert to the
E-type lights for around $100,-, but you'd have to check
if it's legal to do so where you live.

Good Luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...