Re: Early Delorean Workshop Manuals

In a message dated 5/11/01 11:55:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ian@xxxx writes:

> I want to get an original early manual for the initial restoration work on
> vin # 00780 in S.California. I already have a photocopied later version
> manual in N.Ireland for my vin # 6425 but want the ORIGINAL early version.
>
> I recall someone had said these manuals appear regurarly on Ebay and sell
> for around $100 ... does my memory serve me correctly? Does anyone have one
> for sale, or can point me in the right direction.

Hi Ian-

Yes, I've been collecting them for the New DeLorean Manuals Project. I even
have one from the factory in N. Ireland in a two hole binder. And original
service bulletins.

In the illustrated parts manual, some pages are different, some are the same.
In many cases the later version, (the widely available copy,) has more
detail in the illustrations than the original. In other cases, the later
copy only shows the later hardware, such as the mirror assemblies and door
track innards, which look different from the earlier cars.

There's also a combination manual put out by the now defunct DMCA, which has
service illustrations I haven't seen in the official D literature, plus an
illustrated parts list section. I have two of these, so I'd be willing to
part with one. You can contact me privately if you're interested. Maybe I
could lug it to Eurofest for you in 2 weeks.

Plenty on e-bay for $100.? Not that I've seen. They do turn up, but I
wouldn't say "the woods is full of them." And I've been scouring e-bay for
them obsessively for a year. I've paid hundreds for a single manual in some
cases.

If you have questions about a particular illustration, contact me and I can
check it out, and send you a scan of the particular page. I guess I could
scan in the whole manual, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here. I have
plans to combine the earlier and later parts manuals plus incorporate the
relevant service bulletin material, but that's still a bit down the pike.
And the new service manual will be even later.

I could scan it all into the DMCTech site, but I'm never too satisfied with
the quality of such downloads. I guess if there's interest on the list, I
could do an unedited, scanned and laser printed edition of the earlier
manual. In my "spare" time, as an interim measure. Anybody interested?

See you in Belfast!
-Wayne A. Ernst
DMCTech Group
( and The New DeLorean Manuals Project)