[DML] Re: Warm-up Regulator?

[ Yet another moderator note: This is positively the last post on the fire thing. There's a bit more info here so I broke my word and posted it.]

I do agree that worries of DeLoreans catching fire do sometimes get
blown a bit out of proportion. The DMC-12 is NOT a car that is
naturally prone to either electrical or fuel fires. But it is always
a good idea to carry a fire extinguisher in a vehicle. Chances are
that you will probably never use it on your car. But come in handy
one day if you use it on someone else's car.

I do think however that there should be some clarification reguarding
gasoline/petrol and it's hazards. Both health and fire wise. For your
personal safty, it is best not to come into contact with gasoline on
your skin, or when you breath any fumes in. Asides from harmful
agents, gas will suck the moisture right out of your hands leaving
them dry, cracked, and even painfull. Trust me, I found out the hard
way.

As for the flamability factor, don't light a cigarete, work in a well
ventalated area, disconnect the battery, ground yourself to remove
static electricity, etc... The main cause for concern with the
DeLorean reguarding fire hazards are the copper seals that are used
to connect fuel lines. No, there is not a thing wrong with the
design. The seals work like this: When you tighten the bolts to the
banjo fittings, the seals are above and below the banjo fitting. The
seals are soft enough that when the bolts are screwed down,
everything is compressed together. The metal in the bajo fittings
will crush into the copper. This allows the coper to contour itself
around the metal of the fitting in order to create a good seal.
Problems arise when the seals are broken, and are then resued. Since
the copper seal has already been crushed once, it cannot create a
good seal again. This is where the fire hazard aspect comes into
play. Gasoline can leak out spraying all over the hot engine and
exhaust causing it to catch fire. That is why you can never under any
circumstance reuse the copper seals. New seals are not expensive, nor
are they any harder to install then the old ones were to remove.

I've never heard of someone blowing up an entire gas station while
filling up. But I do know that static electricity can play a
dangerous role. Fires can start from metal fuel containers being
filled while sitting on bedliners that are not grounded properly.
Thats why I ususally keep in contact with the stainless body panels
to stay constantly grounded.

If you ever doubt your abilties to perform a repair on your car no
matter what it is, your best best is to leave it to a qualified
profesional that you trust. If you feel confident in yourself that
you can perform the repair, you just need to be aware of everything.
If gasoline/petrol is treated properly by way of heeding all warings
and treating it carefully, then you will be safe and everything
should be just fine. The best protection you can have isn't gloves,
new seals, or even an extinguisher. It's knowlege.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Kevin, I'm not trying to make a mechanic out of you. But I have
been
> working on cars like a lot of us out here, and I have never
included
> a fire extguisher as part of my tool kit. Yes, I have a couple in
the
> house and at the office. But, If you handle gas with...
<SNIP>