RE: [DML] Remote starters

***** Moderator's Note *****
This ends the thread on remote starters.

Re my note on remote starters, I was surprised at all the responses when I
"opened my mail" this morning....so I will respond to all with this one
note. The address for the place I got one (and it was actually purchased
locally) is as follows:

Design TEch International, Inc.
7955 Cameron Brown Court
Springfield, Virginia 22153 USA
Tel: (703) 866-2000 (800) 337-4468 Fax: (703 866-2001)

The model is just called "AutoCommand" Remote Car Starter.

I would like to add that I think none of the ones who responded to the list
have had any actual experience with these units. All brought up comments
or questions re the safety or validity of even having the units. These are
commercial units and are well built and have every safety feature built into
them you can think of.....for this reason they are not a back yard
mechanics project. They are quite complex, but straightforward to install
if you take one part at a time and take it easy. Many things are
programmable with "dip" switches and can be changed after installation.
Trying to locate various components in the D's is the main problem, with the
rear engine and other complications.

You leave the car in the PARK position OR it will not start remotely. Which
precludes it going anywhere when it is started. You can leave the doors
unlocked even. I have only locked my doors since I got it, on rare
ocassions, and mostly to demonstrate the remote lock/unlock feature. But I
live in a small town, and am rarely very far from the car and it is ALWAYS
in the garage when I am home. There is a trigger switch on the engine
compartment and on the brakes and gear shift. If you move almost anything
in the car, even if it is started and running, it will shut itself down and
cannot be restarted by a burglar. If you get in and put your foot on the
brake, before moving the gear shift lever to DRIVE, the motor will stop. It
shuts itself down automatically after 10 minutes of running. There are
various modules you can buy with it. I got EVERYTHING available, which
includes an antitheft alarm. This will either honk you horn or run a siren!
YOu can get it with the remote start ONLY also. This is what I got for the
other car as it already had all of the above units on it. You can remotely
honk the horn or turn your headlights on or off. (also it can be programmed
to open your garage door)

I drive my car all winter but RARELY, if ever, in inclement weather as I
don't want to get it dirty or mess it up, nor take a chance on icy
roads....otherwise I drive it every chance I get.....I am a big showoff so
enjoy taking it out in preference to other cars we own. We have people come
to the door all the time and my wife and I always joke about whether it is
someone selling something or wants me to open the garage door so they can
see the D! Mostly it is the latter. I turned 80 the other day so gotta
get my fun any way and WHILE I can!

Of course, as to the comvenience.....that is a moot question. We could
argue about that all day. After four years of use in the D and two years
in the Lincoln, I am sold on the practicality of it. I was concerned that
the D would overheat on a 100 degree day when I started it 5 or 10 minutes
in advance of using the car. Not so. Same thing with the heater in
winter...... It is very practical, as normally a person has been running
the car, going to the grocery store etc and it is already warmed up or
cooled down so it is very effective. A luxury I guess you might say...like
power steering and power brakes and power windows etc. We could get along
without any of these and just get something that will steer between the
telephone poles! But it is SO nice to enter a nice cool or warm car when
the temps are way up or way down.

I guess there are a few negatives and I think I know them ALL. One is, that
with the DeLorean at least, there are usually bystanders that want to ask
questions about the car and with the door wide open all your heat or cold is
gone in a little bit with your door wide open. One mention was made of the
legality of the motor running in an unattended car and that is a valid
point. This is illegal in MY state! However I doubt if a ticket has ever
been issued for this.....In the dead of winter you see car motors running at
the curb, with people trying to deice their windshields and warm up the
interior and that is usually for a LONG period of time. Another is that
there is nothing to prevent the car being started in a closed garage This
would be bad of course. (although it WOULD shut itself down in 10 minutes).

If any other questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Murray Fisher
Vin: 05962 Lic: DMC-XII
Washington State