Re: Low Voltage

The first place to start (and the cheapest) is to check ALL of the
connections. Start with all of the grounds, and then all of the heavy
positive leads. Move on to the relay-fuse block. Pull and clean all of
the fuses while checking the connecters. Do the relays too. The
clicking noise you hear may be the cooling or fan circuit breaker
cycling if they have not been upgraded to the higher ampere rating. If
the a/c isn't running that could be a separate problem ie: low freon.
The voltage meter in the dash isn't the most accurate so if you
suspect voltage problems you should investigate with a more accurate
meter. Then you can also look for voltage drops across terminals. A
bad battery could also cause a chronic low volt condition. In this
case the alternater is always putting out all it can but the battery
can't hold it. Most places that sell batteries will do a FREE load
test on the battery so they can try to sell you a new one. Most Sears
also test batteries and alternaters for free. Check the belt on the
alternater to be sure it isn't slipping. The voltage regulater is
internal to the alternater so if you replaced the alternater you
already replaced the regulater. Make sure the ground strap from the
engine to the frame is still there, clean, and tight. Deloreans do not
have any real problems in this area and those that do usually are due
to dirty connections which on a 20+ year old car isn't that rare.
(Unless you count the "D's" which still have the Ducey alternater,
those DO have chronic undervoltage problems.)
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "BDM" <bmims@xxxx> wrote:
> I recently replaced my alternator. Afterwards, the ammeter shows
very low charging voltage until I rev up engine and then only to about
12V. Recently, my AC would not engage. Tech told me I had low
voltage problem. Also there is an intermittent "clicking" sound from
somewhere within the dash or rear compartment. Is this related? Do
D's have voltage regulators? Any suggestions as to why I would have
chronically low voltage?