Re: Fuel Problems.

There are different fuel starvation problems and different symptoms.
If the problems seem to go away when you fill the tank then it is
usually a bad suction hose or loose-missing pick-up. If it seems to
happen at high speeds or heavy loads then it could be a dirty filter.
The starvation could be caused by a suction leak ahead of the pump, a
kinked suction hose, a bad pump, a dirty filter, etc. When you have
fuel problems the place to start is in the fuel tank. IMHO most of the
fuel system problems start there. Be careful when installing the fuel
pump because if you turn it as you install it you could kink the
suction hose even if you put a spring in the hose. If the filter
hasn't been replaced in a long time do it. One bad tank of gas could
ruin the filter. The fuel is constantly circulating through it so even
if the tank is clean all of the dirt could be in it. You could cut it
open to verify after you replace it. Water could make the car act like
a fuel starvation problem. A little Dry Gas might help if there isn't
too much. If there are large amounts of water the tank will have to be
drained and the water separated out. When you open the tank and look
in you will see the water if it is there and any dirt. Observe safety
precautions when working on the fuel system as it is a dangerous area
of the car if precautions are not taken. Have plenty of ventilation, a
fire extingushier handy, gloves and safety glasses, approved
containers for fuel if removed, an assistant nearby in case of
trouble. Wipe up any spilled fuel immediatly, keep from contact with
skin and eyes, don't breath the fumes, and no open flames or
electrical lights.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757