Re: [DML] Advice on buying!

Dwayne,

>My question is whether it's better to get a
>Delorean w/ real low miles (under 10K) or one w/ more.

This is one of those questions that can only be answered by 'matter of
opinion' type answers. If you are mechanically inclined, then try to get a
car with low miles and with most of it's factory original problems so that
you can fix them correctly. With the more mileage that a DeLorean has,
chances are there will be more things on it that have gone wrong and may or
may not have been fixed properly if at all. But then you might luck out and
find something that has already been gone through by a reputable DeLorean
vendor.

I suggest that you order your priorities in choosing a DeLorean in this
order:
1) Price. A great deal on anything will be hard to pass up.
2) Condition of stainless panels. Blemish free is nice to have.
3) Condition of frame. A rust bucket case may turn into a body-off-frame
restoration. You might not want to tackle that for your first DeLorean.
3) Condition of interior. I have seen more DeLoreans with cracked dashes
and binnacles than I have with seen without. These interiors tend to fall
apart when left in the weather for very long.
4) Mechanical condition. Personally put this as a low priority since I'm a
good shade tree mechanic. I can fix a mechanical defect a lot easier than I
can take a dent out of fender.

Unless you are mechanically inclined, then I suggest spending the extra
bucks and buying one that has already been professionally restored -- low
miles or otherwise. When I bought mine, I specifically wanted one with
black interior and an automatic tranny. It was the third DeLorean that I
had ever seen up close in my entire life. I think it was a matter of fate.

When I was in high school, I remember going to the local Buick/DeLorean
dealership in town. I drooled plenty on the floor model as you did on the
magazine. On that day, I never would have believed that I would eventually
own one. Since then I have spent lots of money on lots of cars. I have
wasted more than I care to admit to. But the DeLorean has been the best
value and fun for the dollar than anything else out there. It is one of the
few practical everyday cars out there that probably will never depreciate in
value.

Walt Tampa, FL