Re: [DML] DMC Needed for Corporate Event in NYC

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Kevin Abato" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> I contacted Christine about this, and I am going to talk to her more
> tomorrow.
>
> How much does one usually rent their car out for? Anyone?

Kevin:

This question came up recently, and I read a figure that stated
the "going rate" to hire a DeLorean for display purposes was $2600.

I suggest that you just tell them your fee, and you'll find out PDQ
just how bad they want your precious DeLorean. If it's a "Back To
The Future" TITLED event they're sure to have a budget allowance to
obtain the focal point or main attraction.

I wish I had known more about DeLoreans for hire, before
I 'volunteered' mine for the 14th Annual Press Club of St.
Louis "Media Persons of the Year" Award entitled "Back To The Future
with Ford and Freeman" at the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

The Truscotts were nice enough to pass on the information since it
was a local event in my area, and suggested that I ask about the
budget and consider writing about my experience for DeLorean World
Magazine if I decided to participate. (Sincere thanks to John &
Joan!)

We thought it might be fun (for free) considering we normally pay an
entry fee when registering for car shows! My only request was to
receive photos of the event to submit for a future article in
DeLorean World... To date, NO photos, and they haven't returned my 24
exposure roll of prints that I provided for the newspaper press
release! I was their new best friend, when they thought they were
going to get their DeLorean dream, but since the March 14th event
they have forgotten about me.

Make sure you get something for your time and involvement beforehand
because you won't know just how much of a nightmare it could turn out
to be. I was told that I'd have to drive the car on 4-6" wooden
ramps to get the car from the parking garage into the Grand Ballroom,
but wasn't told that the other side of the door was a 4 foot drop-
off! They had a nice ramp set-up for this but I had to wait over an
hour before the maintenance crew decided to put it together. They
were also concerned that the car would nose-dive into their carpeting
and put a rip in it... Hello??? Do I think I want the spoiler torn
off? All went well and I took photos of the scary part, then had to
wait another 3 hours for hundreds of tables to be moved so I could
drive up to the front of the ballroom. I was told they'd be ready
for me that morning... not to be late. It took 6 1/2 hours total
just to drop the car off.

It was nice visiting with the lighting and camera crews, because they
all said they were being paid for their services and I was crazy! It
would have been kind for them to ask about using a fog machine and
throwing wires and cables all around and under the car for lights and
flashing strobes, but it wasn't mentioned.

Now I hear there was a photo taken of Ford and Freeman "perched" on
the hood of the car, and I'm suppose to receive one! Wow, that's
just what I needed to know.

It was a fabulous production and I got a great video, but just my
luck to break the flash off my 35mm camera. No worry, I was assured
copies from the news media coverage -- We'll see. I suppose I don't
need to write the article... I just did!

Lastly, this was a $100.00 per person dinner and roast, and The Press
Club raised $86,000.00 from the event the prior year. I was aware of
this probably after I committed, so I should kick myself for not
finding out more first. I feel great about holding up my end of the
bargain, but it's a shame when others don't as well. Good Luck!

Cheryl & Ron Wester
MO Lic#: BK2-FTR
VIN#: 6322