88mph question (seriously)

[Moderators note - please do not use this as an excuse to start a bttf thread]

Will it damage an OEM 85mph speedometer to run the car faster than it can
display?

I have heard rumors long ago that some older cars (non DMC's) that have the
old 85mph speedometers will break if made to register faster they can
display. Likewise, this rumor has been extrapolated to the DMC even though
I don't think it is true. Can anyone say?

As a bit of trivia, I heard that the magic speed of 88mph was chosen for the
BTTF movie because a producer asked how fast the car will go. They looked
at the 85mph speedometer, estimated where the stop pin is and came up with
the magic number of 88.

Walt Tampa, FL