temp sending unit wiring

Hello All,

this weekend i would like to diagnose my temp sending unit problem/temp gauge
problem. right now it is stuck about 1/3 of the way up on the gauge and it
will not reset when you turn the key. it's just stuck there. apparently
this is the type of gauge that will keep your last position when you turn the
car off, then when you start it again, all the needles should drop back down.
that leads me to believe that i have a wiring problem or a bad temp sending
unit. i have a new sending unit from Grady but i would also like to check
the wires. the previous owner said his mechanic played with the wires a bit
and it worked again, now it doesn't work again.

what i would like to do is totally rewire the sending unit from the engine to
the dash with some high-heat resisting wire. as i look at the wiring
diagram, the wire goes from the sending unit with a ground on one end to a
resistor or a capacitor of some sort (i think) then to the dash. i think
i'll be ok as long as i rewire it from the engine back to whatever that
resistor or something is. however, the old wire is all tied up in the wiring
braid and i think it's best to leave all that stuff well enough alone.

could someone who has done this before explain to me where this old wire
goes? it goes from the sending unit to the braid to the (insert missing
parts here) to the dash gauge. that's about all i know, besides it being a
blue/green wire. what i need is where that resistor or capacitor is.
probably way up in the dash, right? ok, if it's too tough to get to i'll
settle for just splicing it into the old wire before it gets to the dash but
still underneath that area. can someone tell me where a good spot to do this
at would be?

also, what about the ground. is that the outside of the sending unit? i
assume if i just connect a wire from the sending unit to the next piece later
down the path i'll be ok, just like the old one was hooked up

thanks!
Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596