Re: [DML] Should new owner be non-mechanic

Re: [DML] Should new owner be non-mechanic

I guess it depends...if you have the money to buy a Delorean with less
problems than a "project" one, then go for it. But even if you
end up with one that needs things fixed (and even the best one will
after awhile), then I don't think you need to be afraid about being
a non-mechanic. I'm nothing close to a mechanic, so I let a local
mechanic who has been working on DeLoreans since day one handle
all my major work (and I essentially bought a "project D"). So
I guess that's the major thing you may want to find out: if there is
a place nearby you that handles (or can handle) a DeLorean, and
whether or not you trust them. (Of course, if you can afford it you
can always ship the car to one of the DeLorean service centers.)

Also from my experience, it won't hurt if you REALLY LOVE the
DeLorean and want to take care of it by fixing problems that will
pop up here and there over time. In my opinion, if what you're looking
for is a high performance sports car that will run like a dream and
never give you trouble, don't get a DeLorean. But if you are looking
for one of the most unique and interesting classic cars of all time,
then by all means get one. :)

My two cents,

Richard
(Still working on my D)