Re: [DML] Oil pan woes

Before removing the oil pan, I would suggest trying to tap the hole
to a larger size and using a "Time Sert" thread repair. I know that
they make sizes that fit Spark plug threads so I am assuming that
they will have a size to fit the drain plug thread. This way will be
allot less work, be very reliable, cheaper and easier. The thread
insert kit (contains the tools and the insert itself) run between $30-
$50. I would recommend staying away from the HeliCoil brand. They
tend to distort and even "thread out" as you are installing the bolt.
I used the Helicoil to repair the treads for the water pump and found
it coming out the other end as I was tightening the bolt (since there
is no back to the threaded hole where the water pump bolts go into,
just a continuos hole all the way through). If that happens with the
oil pan, then you may risk having to take of the oil pan off to get
the insert out. The TimeSert inserts have a lip that prevent that
from happening and are a solid sleeve (the helicoils are just a
Stainless steel wound "wire" type).The Timeserts come in a varity of
sizes, I am currently using it to repair the threading on the heads
for the exhaust manifold bolts.

Steve Rubano