Re: Oil pan woes

It is not easy to remove the oil pan. The standard repair would be to
install a thread repair like a Heli-coil or some such item. If it is
really mangled up sometimes you can go to the next larger size.
Another option would be to remove the oil pan, have a GOOD welder weld
up the threads and retap. To do this involves unfastening the engine
mounts and jacking up the motor for clearance. It sounds like you also
need to buy a new drain plug and don't forget the copper gasket and an
oil pan gasket if you remove it.(Not a simple or pleasant job!) Get a
drain plug adapter and don't let a grease monkey strip the next
one.This usually doesn't happen often but what might have happened is
the origional plug got lost (fell in the oil can) and they substituted
a plug with the wrong (american) threads. Although they got the plug
in the threads were stripped so when you took out the plug you were
screwed.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Payne" <bpayne@xxxx> wrote:
> Today I had the oil changed in my DeLorean at the Honda dealership
where I
> work. We removed the drain plug only to find it completely stripped
with
> only about one or two threads at the top, it's a wonder it stayed
in.