Radio Reception with Windshield Antenna

My 81 DeLorean originally came with the radio antenna build into its
windshield. As you might expect, I grew accostomed to poor radio
reception.

This week I had a new windshield installed, this one without the
built-in antenna. The installer simply left the antenna lead loose in
the corner of my dashboard. I had already purchased an aftermarket
"stick on" windshield antenna from Radio Shak, but I probably will not
bother to use it . . .

I turned on my antennaless radio this morning and I can barely tell the
difference. No antenna works almost as well as the windshield antenna
did!

So much for preserving originality. It looks as though I have a power
antenna mast somewhere in my future.

I might still try the Radio Shack unit, just for the sake of
comparison. It would not take much to be better than that original
antenna was.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 8 years