Re: impossibly high fuel pressure?

Before you give up I have some ideas you can try. If indeed your
primary pressure is too high besides the primary pressure regulater
being stuck (which you say isn't) another possability is a restriction
in the return line from the regulater to the tank. Since your resting
pressure is about right the fuel accumulater is probably OK. A quick
and dirty test is to remove the return line from the regulater and rig
up something temporary into a pail and see if the pressure is now in a
more normal range. I think the noises from the pump are just it trying
too hard against the high pressure, after you can get the pressure
right the pump might be alright. If you cannot regulate the primary
pressure don't bother checking the control pressure, it will be too
high also, it also dumps into the return line to the tank and besides
it receives "regulated" presssure from the primary regulater so if
that is too high the control pressure reg can't reduce it enough.
Refer to D:01:06 in the workshop manual to see the fuel flow and the
return line to the tank. Imagine that the return was blocked at any
point between the primary reg and the tank. The acumulater won't care
if it isn't ruptured but the regulater has no way to send the excess
fuel pumped to it back to the tank.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757