Re: Fan speed "3" is gone..

John Hervey wrote:

> Hank, Since the 4th speed is working ok, that tells you the switch is
> working and the voltage feed thru the Circuit breaker is ok, If all
> the connections are good then the only thing left is the resistance
> wire for the third speed.

Since Hank stated that 1 and 2 DO work, I would guess the resistorwire
is still OK; if you look at the electrical diagram the resistorwires are
all put in series and "shorted" by the mode switch for 1 and 2 and by
the relays for 3 and 4 because of the higher current.
for 1 and 2 the current passes through the resistor that's shorted out
by the 3rd-speed relay, so that all seems OK.

First thing I would check is if the contacts are all in the sockets, not
pushed down, when that's the case check if you get any power to the
sockets; there should be +12V at 2 of the contacts, ground on one,
one ground THROUGH THE MOTOR AND RESISTOR #3 and one contact isn't used.

Looking at the "diagram" beneath it should be like this:
_________________
| 1 |
| ___ |
| 2 |
| ___ 3| 4| |
| | | |
| |
| 5 ___ |
|_________________|

1 and 2 should have +12V on them, 5 is ground, 3 isn't used and 4 goes
to the motor through the last resistor.

with this info and basic troubleshooting techniques you should be able
to determine what's wrong, if not give me a personal mail and I'll
explain even more detailed.

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000