Re:Now Battery Care

A caution is in order for the following. At a tech seminar I attended
a few years back, Stephen Wynne indicated that they have began to see
cars that had signs of aluminum deterioration in the engine block due
to electrolytic action. This was caused by leaving the battery in
the car, CONNECTED to the car, with a float charger attached. The
solution to this is simply to disconnect BOTH battery leads when
float-charging the battery in the car, or remove it entirely.

What is supposedly going on is that incidental electrical current
flow was causing aluminum to migrate from the engine to the radiator,
to the detriment of both. The indication was aluminum gunk in the
radiator and a thinning of the engine block and cooling tubes.

Not confirmed from any other source, but it seemed logical to me at
the time.

ALSO - note that you want a battery TENDER (aka battery buddy, etc.) not a float charger. Based on the price range given, that is probably what the author meant. The difference is that the tender-type of device actually cycles on and off, whereas the float/trickle charger keeps a constant current flow to the battery. The constant current flow is not as healthy for the battery. The difference in cost between the two is slight.

Dave Swingle