Re:Was discharge rate for stored battery- Now Battery Care

Re:Was discharge rate for stored battery- Now Battery Care

Never store on concrete-put it on a
piece of wood. (I don't know why but it will discharge faster if left
directly on concrete.)

> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

This is not an urban legend; it is true even though it seams to defy
basic laws of electric/chemistry.

Most batteries are in the engine compartment thus they get dirty. The
dirt on the battery forms a conductive path (it is a very high
resistance thus it is small but a conductive path all the same). The
concrete is also somewhat conductive so by putting the battery on a
conductor you are exacerbating this problem. If the battery is clean
(as David recommends) then putting it on a piece of wood (and
insulator) is really not critical. For those of you who enjoy useless
and trivial information I hope that helps.

One of the best things I have found for car / battery storage is a
float charger. They run from $10 to $50 and they keep the battery
toped off at all times (without cooking it) which will give you the
longest battery life. It also will cover the ma amp draw that the
batter has from clocks, alarm systems etc and has the added advantage
of keeping the memory on your radio, clock and computer.

Regards,

Mike D.
Vin 3113
NY