A day in the life of a moderator

There's been a lot of focus on the list lately on the performance of
the moderating team, so as an experiment I thought I would keep track
of my moderating activities today to give everyone a feel of a
typical day and what is involved in moderating the list. The
following is a recap of my efforts today -- since this message is
somewhat off topic, please send responses or followups directly to
the moderating team at "moderator(at)dmcnews.com"

I processed 42 messages today. I approved 25 and rejected 17 (this is
a slightly better approval rate than I typically experience which is
closer to 50/50, but the traffic has been focused well in the last
couple days).

Of the 25 messages approved, two involved my sending e-mail exchanges
with the authors prior to processing the messages. The other 23 were
processed normally.

Of the 17 messages rejected, 4 were rejected without any comment and
the other 13 were rejected with a message explaining the situation to
the corresponding authors. In response I received e-mail from several
folks which were generally constructive, but I also received a couple
messages accusing me of impropriety. I followed up with several of
the messages.

I'm not particularly fast at moderating and it takes me an average of
about 60 seconds to process a message that requires no additional
comment (i.e. outright accept or outright reject), and it takes me a
little more than twice that long to process messages requiring
additional handling such as sending notices to the authors explaining
the conditions under which their post was dropped. Additional
folloups that usually stem from this probably averages another minute
or two. At 60 seconds per simple message and 3 minutes per message
needing special handling, the total processing time works out to
about 72 minutes (not including the overhead of logging in via my
phone line and getting my act together). I logged on and processed
messages about a half dozen times today starting with the first thing
in the morning while having my breakfast coffee.

You might wonder why I spend such energy on behalf of the list. I
like to think that providing someone else with some assistance is
reward in itself. I also occasionally get a message from someone who
has found the list to be a valuable resource and such moments are
also very rewarding. But the bottom line is that I enjoy the DeLorean
marque and the DMC enthusiast community, and I find it satisfying to
think that I may in some way be contributing positively to the
owners and enthusiasts out there that have likewise helped me.

I'm off duty the rest of this week as I've worked out a split
schedule with Dave due to both of us having schedule conflicts over
the next few days (another aspect of moderating includes overall
coordination to ensure that someone is always at the helm) -- I'll be
back next week.

Knut (moderator for the first couple days this week)