Re: [DML] new tech site

In a message dated 3/29/01 5:45:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marvin@xxxx writes:

<< What's the overall opinion of our major service centers? Will they lose
business if this technical repair information is readily available to the
corner gas station / mechanic? What percent of owners will now attempt to fix
their own cars rather than flatbed or drive to a recognized expert? I ask
these questions because very knowledgeable people donate many, many hours in
free advice to those of us who are stuck with a problem or two. I would not
want them to lose income or clients or be "turned off" >>

I asked each of the five full service DeLorean shop owners what they thought
as I began research on the new service manual. Aside from Ed, they all seem
genuinely supportive, although they themselves don't need it. When I first
bought my DeLorean, I spread my purchases out pretty evenly. Bought my first
items from DeLorean One. I found ALL of the vendors willing to talk and try
to help over the phone. I even called Rob Grady, my nearest D shop, for help
installing a Motorola alternator that I didn't get from him, to replace my
Ducey. He not only walked me through it, he faxed me a copy of the
appropriate service bulletin. (I immediately ordered the service bulletin
reprint manual from him!)
Why should they not feel threatened? Well, they all sell parts. I know
enough about D's that I won't let my mechanic work on mine without getting
the parts for him. Even the oil filters. If I knew less, I might think
anything the mechanic suggests is an ok idea. Since I know better, D vendors
make more money from me in parts sales. Second, they all must get a lot of
seemingly dumb but necessary questions... that don't lead to any sales.
Like, "how do you adjust the tilt steering wheel?" Just look at how new
people keep thinking of the same questions on the DML. This should siphon
off some of that time drain. Third, when owners discover a solution to a
seemingly insolvable problem, they may be inspired to get that baby back on
the road. A twenty year old car on the road needs more maintenance and part$
than one under a tarp in the garage. Fourth, who's gonna trailer their D
across seven states to get a new headlight or even replace a binnacle? What
little they "lose" in nickel and dime tinkerer repairs will be more than
offset by increased demand for DeLoreans caused by more DeLorean sightings.
(Personally, it was seeing a great DeLorean close up, rather than seeing a
bttf movie, that inspired ME to buy one!) And what would you rather sell, if
you were them... a $30,000 car or $30,000 worth of oil filters? I think that
anything that helps popularize and sustain the marque helps the vendors.
Fifth, even the vendors sell the original manual reprints and give out free
advice. It hasn't hurt them so far!

-Wayne