Re: [DML] Fuel System Explained.

> Primary Pressure Regulator.
> This item is located inside of the Fuel Distributor. It's job is to
> determine what the pressure of the fuel system will be when the
> system runs under normal conditions. Has the ability to increase or
> decrease pressure by determining how much fuel is allowed to return
> to the gas tank. Set by the factory and/or mechanic. Contains no
> movable parts, and is probably only adjusted when a new distributor
> is installed.

This consists of a needle valve, o-rings, shims and springs. The primary
pressure can be changed by adding or removing shims. In the case of Andy's
fuel pressure problem I suppose it's possible that this valve is sticking
but unless his mechanic played with adding or removing shims this really
couldn't change. After relieving the fuel pressure you can carefully remove
this valve but BE SURE you see how the shims and springs are stacked up so
you change NOTHING or LOSE anything when re-installing. I don't think this
regulator valve has a history of malfunctioning with any frequency though.
Any shop with a history of working on early 80's Volkswagens, Volvos, Saabs,
Porsches, Ferraris and so on should have no problem trouble shooting the
K-jetronic fuel system. The system is made up of various Bosch shelf items
tailored to specific engine configurations. Essentially they're all alike in
the way they work and many parts are interchangeable. I've found the various
DeLorean shops have very competitive prices compared to the Bosch parts
suppliers and you save a great deal of leg work by simply ordering from
those DeLorean shops. The Amoco Certicare Andy used probably wouldn't have
been my choice to work on the fuel system.

Bruce Benson