Re: need to adjust mixture levels?

I am in total agreement with Mike Griese on this one. Before you
attempt to start the engine again you must find out what is causing
the high fuel pressure. Untill this has been discovered, do not make
any attempt to adjust either the air/fuel mixture, or the Primary
Pressure Regulator. Black smoke is an indication of an incomple burn
inside of the cylinders. The gasoline you smell is eveidence of a way-
too-rich fuel mixture. This is a fire hazard for both you and the
car. If run this way long enough the catalytic converter and the
muffler will glow red. This is not a good situation to a volatile gas
vapors in. Plus if run long enough you can damage the engine by
washing the cylinders out. When this happens, gasoline will wash the
protective oil coating off the cylinder walls allowing the pistons to
score the sleeves. Unless something else is discovered, this should
for the most part be a relativly easy repair. Do not rush the car,
and take things one step at a time. If you don't, she will not
respond very well to you.

-Robert
vin 6585