Re: what would a bad fuel accumulator do?

Re: what would a bad fuel accumulator do?

The purpose of the fuel acumulator is to maintain pressure within the
fuel system to keep gasoline in the lines from vaporizing. The extra,
soft hose that's connected from the accumulator to the return line is
only used when the accumulator goes bad. If the seals inside the case
break, then the extra hose directs fuel to the gas tank rather then
letting it spill onto the ground. Symptoms of a defective accumulator
would be hard starting when warm, but not when cold. It does indeed
sound like you have a restriction somewhere in you fuel system.

The Volvo repair manual for the 760 K-Jetronic system indicates that
your idle and starting problems are likely the result of incorrect
fuel pressure. You have already determined that you fuel pressure is
too high. It may be possible the the injectors are allowing too much
fuel to enter the cylinders. More fuel then the engine can burn off.
But first correct the pressure issue.

The DeLorean workshop manual states that excessivly high fuel line
pressure is caused by a restriction in the fuel RETURN system. But
you don't know exactly where the leak was comming from. Most likely
the cause of the leak was the soft hose that connects from the
accumulator to the return hose. If this was the case, then a leak
there would make sense because this hose is not designed for high
pressure. Based upon this assessment, I would say the restriction
lies in your return line somewhere between the center of the chassis
and the fuel tank. But before you even touch the car, make sure you
know for a fact where the leak was comming from. Work backwards thru
the system to find the cause, and always twist your theories to suit
the facts, but not the other way around.

Good luck!

-Robert
vin 6585