Re: Fans run continuous

Is your AC turned on? Even without the engine running, when the mode
switch is selected on AC (max/norm) or Bi-Lev, it will activate the AC
compressor. This in turn, turns on the fans. Without the engine
running, the compressor will not cycle, so it will give the impression
that the fans are always staying on. If this is the case, turn the
mode switch off, or start the engine so the compressor cycles, and the
fans should start acting normal again. If this doesn't cure the
problem, you could have a stuck relay (but that would keep the fans
running without the car on, so this is probably not it); or there
could be a problem with your otterswitch which is keeping the fans
activated. The otterswitch is what turns on the fans when the coolant
reaches a certain temperature. To check the otterswitch, go back into
the engine compartment, and look for the aluminum cooling pipe along
the driver's side of the engine. Either on the top or bottom side of
this, you should see two wires going into a plug. Disconnect one or
both of them and see if the fans turn off. If they do, your
otterswitch is bad, and needs to be replaced. (Plug them back in
though, better to have the fans always on than not on at all!) If
not, you probably have a short somewhere else in the system, which I
have no clue how to fix. Good Luck!

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960