Re: Lift it up question SAFELY

The message said ... The jack stand on the right front
kicked out and the truck fell...

I almost always leave the floor jack under the vehicle just in case
something like this happens. I prefer a belt and suspender approach. Have
two methods to hold the vehicle up in case one fails.

As I said in an earlier message, a floor jack is so easy to use that it make
jacking up the Delorean simple. So simple that you can raise the whole car
and have it supported at four points. Since the frame is so rigid, three
points will support the vehicle in the event that one failed.

Use a 4x4 to spread the load and jack the car up in the middle on each side
to get it off the floor. I used this process repeatedly until I got the car
high enough to remove the body and roll the frame out from underneath it.
Yes, I used a long 4x4 to extend the stands out wide enough to roll the
frame out.

I had two store bought jack stands ... and never liked how they looked.
They don't look like they should work even though they do. I built two more
out of 2x6 & 2x8 scraps. They are quite wide at the bottom and the boards
are nailed together on their flat (thin) sides. They look like they will
work and they do. They are wider than store bought and they cannot crumble
like concrete blocks.

Just some thoughts. And I'm subject to being wrong without notice:-)

Nick Kemp