strange sounds with low fuel

Hey all,

many of my problems are getting fixed, mostly thanks to the DML. my list of
'to-do's' is dwindling quickly! however here's a NEW one....

now i know my car starts running a little shaky when i get to about 1/3 tank
of gas. it sputters sometimes while accelerating, and idles like crap. Rob
Grady said i probably have a worn out fuel suction line in my gas tank and
i'm getting air pockets when the gas gets low enough to expose the holes or
bad parts. makes sense. however today i was going to try to run my gas low
so i could refill it with all fresh gas for the first time EVER. every now
and then it hiccuped, however something new started happening. when i'm
going slowly like in a parking lot, i can hear a sound that resembles road
noise, like going over a bridge at high speed. it kind of sounds like
something rubbing or smoothly grinding. it goes away for seconds at a time,
and it's not incredibly loud but you can hear it at under 25 mph. it does
not have anything to do with steering wheel position or gear. my guess is
that the gas is getting low and the fuel pump in the gas tank is acting up.
the sound seems to emanate from below the dash console or from the left side
of the car in front of me, which is the general location of the gas tank. as
soon as a refilled my gas tank, the sounds and sputtering went away for GOOD,
and i'm sure it will do it again when the tank gets low.

anyone have any good ideas? this spring i will probably remove my gas tank
and swap all the seals and hoses.

later guys,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx