rubberneckers...

greetings..

more often than not, i find myself giving "tours" of my car everytime i take
her out. it is just part of owning such a unique automobile. i will admit,
it sometimes is not convenient but the admirers don't realize that they may
be causing some kind of an inconvenience. for that reason, i always try to
be accomodating. i also will normally invite people to "have a seat".
take, for example, an instance last summer when i was washing the car in my
driveway when an older gentleman in a cadillac kept circling my house. i
could see him straining to see the car but i guess he was too worried about
being a nuissance to stop and "bother" me. after his 5th or 6th trip back
and forth infront of my house, i flagged him down.. he immediately pulled
into the driveway and got out of the car. i asked him if he was lost or
just checking out the car. he seemed a little embarrassed and said that he
was looking at the car. and i told him that he'd never get a good look at
it from the road. he hopped back into his car.. i thought i had offended
him (i was only trying to be conversational) but that was put to rest when
he got back out with a camera in hand and started circling the car. this
guy had the look of a kid at christmas on his face. he took some pictures
and asked if i would mind taking one of him next to the car. i did and
offered to let him sit in the car.
the gentleman explained to me that he had the opportunity to buy a de lorean
in the 80's and passed on it. he had regretted it ever since. he said that
he hadn't seen one for almost 15 years and that it was just luck that he
found me because he lives in montreal (i live in new liskeard, ontario) and
was up here visiting some family.
the reason for the long post?? well, i made this man's day just by being a
nice guy. he only wanted to admire the car and i made the experience
special for him by just talking to him. as the owner of an "exotic", it is
easy to become complacent towards the car and forget how special they are to
some people.. just remember that next time you're at a light and the people
in the car next to you strain to get a good look..!

just my $0.02..

:)
mike
11434