auto trans

<As with other tranny swaps for the DeLorean, it would be necessary
<to find a way to reverse its gearing. I believe this has never been
<done successfully with that particular gearbox, but a creative
<person who undertook such a project might create a very unique and
<luxurious DeLorean.

Some time ago I located a dealer in the UK that sold new automatic
transmissions for about 1200 UKPounds. According to them this
included the transaxle, transmission unit, and computer. I was also
told that they would reverse the ring gear to allow the reverse
installation for about 200 UKPounds. At the time this meant I could
get a brand new trans set up for around $2,500. I guess you would
have to take a leap of faith...warranty repairs would pose a
problem!

I'll have to look up my research but I know Renault had a car they
never imported that used the same trans. I have a picture of the
engine compartment of this car and other than a power steering belt
set up the engine looks identical down to the air filter housing. I
do not know if this is the Premier engine or not. This Renault was
also available in turbo form.

My trans stopped giving me problems but when it eventually fails I
plan to do more research along this route.

There is a 4 speed automatic that would bolt up but would require
modifications to make it work. I forgot what the modifications
were. I think maybe it was an electric shift..dunno..

Jeff